In the spring of 2020, the Board of Trustees of the Teatre Lliure Foundation agreed to establish an Environmental Sustainability Plan for the Teatre Lliure, in order to provide an example of how the arts and culture can play an important role in the fight against climate change and environmental degradation.
The Teatre Lliure Environmental Sustainability Plan is organised in eight areas:
- Optimisation and systematisation of data relevant in analysis and decision making
- Systematisation of checks and periodic monitoring of indicators
- Environmental regulatory compliance monitoring processes
- Reduction and correct management of waste, particularly hazardous waste
- Reduction of water consumption levels
- Optimisation and reduction of energy consumption levels
- Improvements in travel and transport
- Obtaining environmental certifications
Between 2020 and 2022, the management of the Teatre Lliure is carrying out a series of projects to transform the way we work to make it more sustainable:
- Creation of the Sustainability Committee, with the participation of the various departments of the entire organisation
- Energy audit of the various venues of the Teatre Lliure
- Establishment of compliance indicators and periodic analysis of each area
- Review of procurement policies and establishment of sustainability criteria to be met by suppliers
- Creation of selective waste collection points on our premises
- Implementation of a waste collection and management policy to achieve the goal of "zero landfill"
- Reduced use of paper and printing both internally and for public use
- End of disposable plastic use
- Replacement of conventional lighting with LED lighting
- Installation of photovoltaic panels to improve energy efficiency
- Installation of taps with timer and flow control to reduce water consumption
Actions to improve the energy efficiency of the Free Theatre's sustainability plan are carried out with the support of the Generalitat's ERDF-Department of Culture Fund.